2020 - Present
The videogame_mixtape_ is an ongoing audio-based, research-driven project by Larry Achiampong. Created with the purpose of exploring the heritage and evolution of music and audio in gaming, this endeavour opens up Achiampong’s interest in this cultural phenomenon through gestures of play and sharing.
The project is (re)presented in the form of a series of mixtapes that the artist will disseminate online. The mixtapes (on occasions) will be complimented by video-based versions which will include visuals associated with the games. Achiampong will also create playlists for each of the mixtapes, detailing information including game title(s), composer(s) and the gaming platform(s) that the music features on.
The project will also feature podcasts where the artist is joined by invited guests to talk and listen to all things gaming and audio related.
Of the project, Achiampong said:
“I’m very excited to be bringing together my interest in video games and sound into what hopefully builds into an archive of grooves, nostalgia and new discoveries for myself and those of you whom listen to these mixes.
I’m also approaching this research in a way that doesn’t require anyone to have knowledge on the history of gaming – the mixes will be designed for people to enjoy as if they were listening to any other mixtape. With that in mind there will be a range of vibes to explore – from the cinematic, to popular cuts and hidden gems to the downright quirky. I hope you’ll join in and listen as I embark on this exciting journey.”
1) Track/Game: 'Dracula’s Theme', Super Castlevania 4, Platform/Date: Super Famicom/Super Nintendo, 1991, Soundtrack Composed By: Masanori Adachi, Taro Kudo
2) Track/Game: 'Turtle Village', Golden Axe, Platform/Date: Arcade (Sega System 16), 1989, Soundtrack Composed By: You Takada
3) Track/Game: 'Go Straight', Streets of Rage 2, Platform/Date: Sega Genesis/Mega Drive, 1992, Soundtrack Composed By: Yuzo Koshiro, Motohiro Kawashima
4) Track/Game: 'Hydrocity Zone-Act 2', Sonic The Hedgehog 3, Platform/Date: Sega Genesis/Mega Drive, 1994, Soundtrack Composed By: Michael Jackson, et al
5) Track/Game: 'Night Riders', Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time, Platform/Date: Super Famicom/Super Nintendo, 1991, Soundtrack Composed By: Mutsuhiko Izumi, Kozo Nakamura
6) Track/Game: 'Alex & Ken Stage (JAZZY NYC '99)', Street Fighter III: Third Strike, Platform/Date: Arcade (Capcom), 1999, Soundtrack Composed By: Hideki Okugawa
7) Track/Game: 'An Oath of the Sword', Soul Blade, Platform/Date: Sony Playstation, 1996, Soundtrack Composed By: Masumi Itō, et al
8) Track/Game: 'Infiltrator vs Parasite (Psycho Mantis)', Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, Platform/Date: Nintendo Gamecube, 2004, Soundtrack Composed By: Norihiko Hibino, et al
9) Track/Game: '1990: Siberia', Timesplitters 2, Platform/Date: Multiple, 2002, Soundtrack Composed By: Graeme Norgate
10) Track/Game: 'Brinstar Red Soil Swampy Area', Super Metroid, Platform/Date: Super Famicom/Super Nintendo, 1994, Soundtrack Composed By: Kenji Yamamoto, Minako Hamano
11) Track/Game: 'Stickerbrush Symphony', Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest, Platform/Date: Super Famicom/Super Nintendo, 1995, Soundtrack Composed By: David Wise
12) Track/Game: 'Half Pipe', California Games, Platform/Date: Commodore Amiga, 1988, Soundtrack Composed By: Chris Grigg, Gil Freeman
13) Track/Game: 'Casino Night Zone (2 Player)', Sonic The Hedgehog 2, Platform/Date: Sega Genesis/Mega Drive, 1992, Soundtrack Composed By: Masato Nakamura
14) Track/Game: 'Boss', Shinobi, Platform/Date: Sega Master System 1987, Soundtrack Composed By: Yasuhiro Kawakami
15) Track/Game: 'Metro City Subway', Final Fight, Platform/Date: Arcade (Capcom CPS I), 1989, Soundtrack Composed By: Manami Matsumae, et al
16) Track/Game: 'Guile I', Street Fighter 2, Platform/Date: Arcade (Capcom CPS I), 1991, Soundtrack Composed By: Yoko Shimomura, Isao Abe
17) Track/Game: 'Guile II', Street Fighter 2, Platform/Date: Arcade (Capcom CPS I), 1991, Soundtrack Composed By: Yoko Shimomura, Isao Abe
The videogame_mixtape is a project made possible with support from Heart of Glass.