Live performance, 2008 - present
Documentation by Anslem Herelle
• JAM IN THE DARK is a performance that abandons the visual sense in order to explore
enhanced dynamics of auditory and somatosensory systems by housing a variety of
musicians (each possessing and communicating with different instruments) in a visual
abyss where hearing and feeling become the focus.
• The skill level of the musician does not matter (to a degree).
• The level of group-based experience the musician possess does not matter (to a
• The look of the performer/s or viewer/s doesn’t matter.
• The first person experience of JAM IN THE DARK transcends that of the third person
(i.e. archived footage). Like a one-time-only encounter, the vibes that are shared (from
the musicians) received, (from the attendees) and visa versa will always differ
no performance the same since everything is improvised.
© Larry Achiampong